Monday 26 May 2014

Welcome

Hello, welcome to my new blog.

My first experience of doing any sort of family history was at the age of 12 for a school project. Quite basic and with very little information in it, I must have had a fondness for it, as it is the only piece of schoolwork I did that I still own.

In 2007 whilst I was pregnant with my second daughter, my mum passed away. As the rawness of that loss began to subside, and having just watched an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?(Chris Moyles), I realised that I didn't know enough about my own family. Armed with a real yearning to know more, I bought some family tree software and a free trial on Ancestry, and I have been hooked ever since!  I love that not only has doing it accelerated my knowledge of my ancestors but also my thirst for knowledge of the social history that surround those ancestors.

Having spent the last few months reading some fascinating family history blogs, I see the importance of telling our ancestors stories. It does seem such a shame to do all this research and then keep it to myself!
I will use this blog mainly to tell the stories of mine and my husbands ancestors. Hope you enjoy reading it!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with it, Kelley! I've learnt some very interesting extra snippets about my FH through people reading my own blog and getting in touch. Hope you do too! Look forward to reading your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy, and for taking the time to comment. It would be a real bonus to find distant cousins! :-)
    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congrats, Kelley, on the launch of your family history blog - it looks wonderful and I can't wait to read the stories of your ancestors. Happy digging! Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments Angela. Now I need to decide who to write about first :-)
      Kelley x

      Delete